How Piiano Vault can help with ISO-27001 compliance
ISO 27001 is an international standard that provides a framework for establishing, implementing, maintaining, and continually improving an Information Security Management System (ISMS). Although ISO 27001 does not specifically focus on data privacy, it does cover various aspects of information security that can help organizations protect the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of personal information.
Piiano Vault and ISO27001
Some requirements of ISO 27001 regarding data privacy where Vault is relevant include:
- Access control: Organizations must implement access controls to ensure that only authorized personnel can access personal data. This includes user registration and de-registration, user access provisioning, managing privileged access rights, and reviewing user access rights.
- Encryption and pseudonymization: To protect the confidentiality of personal data, organizations should consider using encryption and pseudonymization techniques, especially when transmitting data over public networks or storing it in the cloud.
- Data minimization: Organizations should collect and process the minimum amount of personal data necessary to achieve their purpose, in line with the data minimization principle of data privacy regulations, such as GDPR.
Piiano Vault enables you to support these requirements for PII easily:
- Access control: with Piiano Vault, you can define broad or detailed access control policies for PII that limit access according to access reason, requesting user, which data is accessed, type of data accessed (e.g., SSN, name or birth date), and so on.
- Encryption and pseudonymization: Vault encrypts all data by default and supports a wide range of anonymization, pseudonymization, and de-identification capabilities. For example, sensitive details such as phone numbers and SSN may be masked (transformed) or tokenized.
- Data minimization: Vault supports life cycle management and retention policies, enabling you to limit how long you retain PII and automatically archive or delete data that should not be accessible or stored.
💡 Vault has many more features to assist you in implementing privacy-by-design, some of which are outside the scope of ISO27001. Even within the limited scope of ISO27001, Vault can provide significant value.